01 November 2011

Who Finishes Second In The Championship? (Who Cares?)

Though the 2011 Formula One World Drivers Championship has long ago been decided in favour of Sebastian Vettel, there is apparently a fight on for the runner up position.

This got me thinking, off the top of my head, how many championship runners up can I remember? In 2009 was it Barrichello or Vettel? Rubens was in the dominant Brawn that year but Seb was also doing pretty well. In 2007, Räikkönen beat the other two contenders, Hamilton and Alonso, in the last race of the season. What order were they in the final standings though? Going back to 2001, David Coulthard was Michael Schumachers main rival in the first half of the season, did he remain second best till the end?

I'm actually not completely sure who finished second in probably at least half the drivers championships which I have followed these past three decades. I can only some to one conclusion from all this. It is not the taking part, but the winning, which counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment