12 November 2011

Five Circuits I'd Like To See Dropped From The F1 Calender

As opposed to a recent previous post where I listed five ex-F1 tracks I'd like to see back on the F1 Calander, this is a list of five tracks I'd hope never to see Grand Prix cars on again. I'm limiting my choices to circuits that have held Formula One races in the past two seasons:

  • Valencia - Not only is the surrounding scenery a bland expanse of concrete, the racing at the Valencia street track has tended to be exceedingly processional and boring. I've heard it described as another Monaco, obviously that person has never seen Monaco or works for the Valencia tourist board! What I really don't understand is why the F1 cars don't use the purpose made circuit that I've seen the motorbikes use? That track has an interesting layout and the more natural scenery is far more pleasing on the eye. I think it would make a great Grand Prix venue. 
  • Hockenheim - The new Hockenheim layout is just a shadow of the once great high speed track that blasted through the forest. The old Hockenheim was in modern times a unique fixture on the Formula One Calender. It was mainly flat out straights with a twisty stadium section at the end of the lap. Because  individuality is scorned upon in Formula One, it had to go and make way for another overblown go-kart track that shamelessly still keeps the same name. At least it makes the new Nurburgring now look like a half decent circuit!
  • Shanghai - No real complaints about the circuit itself. Ok, it's a bit bland and seems too similar to Sepang. It's just that I feel there is total apathy to Formula One amongst the Chinese, I don't think they'd really care if F1 visited or not. It feels like Formula One is going there because of the possibility of 1.2 billion Chinese people seeing their sponsors logos. I'd much rather seeing a race at a circuit with a passionate crowd such as Imola.
  • Korea - A circuit that manages to encompass all the bad features from the three tracks I've mentioned above. The scenery is nondescript, the layout is disjointed and the crowds seem sparse and unexcited. The long straight is wasted in my opinion, instead of a low speed corner leading on to it a high speed bend would be much better and even with a shorter straight section would allow more overtaking. Why when building from scratch they had to put concrete walls so close to the track-side, I don't know? It has a temporary feel to it, hopefully it's inclusion in the Grand Prix calender will be brief. 
  • Bahrain - The 2011 race was one of the more memorable Bahrain GP's for the fact that it didn't take place due to civil unrest in that country. I think that says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment