24 November 2011

Mixing Sport & Politics

I was happy to read today that Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed that the Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead in 2012 despite some public protests in that country. Every country has a large percentage of the population that are unhappy with the government, that is part of life. Because there is a minority who wish to show their resentment by resorting to violence doesn't mean everybody else's lives have to stop. Why punish the motor sport fans in Bahrain by taking away their Grand Prix when they have done nothing wrong?

Unfortunately sport getting involved with politics and vice versa is nothing new, sadly the only people who suffer are the sportsman and the sports fans. Politicians and political activists are only interested in using sport as a means to get their message across. They have no genuine interest in the sports they are using for their own political gains and once they have achieved their goal they will no doubt lose any interest they may have briefly had.

Sportsmen and sportswomen are generally non-political, apart from the occasional loudmouth, most keep quiet about World affairs. That is how it should be. As a fan of sport and motor racing in particular, I want to see exciting races, I don't care about the politics of that country. Maybe if I was concerned I wouldn't want to see a race take place in China. Britain has seen rioting in recent months, why not drop the British GP until we are sure the underlying problems that sparked these unrests have been sorted out? Maybe the animal rights groups might want Spain to stop hosting their two annual races until they abolish Bull fighting? I'm sure I could find a reason not to host a race in every country currently on the F1 calender if I put my mind to it!

Despite not being a particular fan of the Bahrain circuit, I will be cheering when I see Formula One cars race there in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment