15 December 2011

Overtaking Killed The Racing Star

I was a bit bemused to hear today that Sebastian Buemi has been dropped from the Torro Rosso team for 2012. I have always regarded him as a quick and reliable driver, somebody a mid-field team like Torro Rosso would want to hang on to.

I do admit though that in 2011 Buemi's results haven't maybe been as good as I would have as expected. Given his performances in previous seasons I'd have expected to have seen him more consistently at the forefront of the midfield runners. Somehow things didn't quite work out that way. I blame the new Pirelli tyres and the push to pass DRS and KERS systems for this. Now instead of a driver just concentrating on doing what he's there to do, i.e. drive fast, he now has to worry about tyres that are designed to lose grip after a ridiculously short distance and getting passed by cars with a massive straight line speed advantage. Gimmicks like these are only there to try and artificially improve the spectacle and the only losers are going to be the genuine racers, racers like Sebastian Buemi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment